Got your hands on the ultimate Oculus Quest 2 VR headset and couldn’t find a way to make it work with Steam? Don’t worry, we have got you covered.
If you are here, we believe that you are also in search of an answer to “does the Oculus Quest 2 work with Steam or not?” Well, hold your horses because this amazing VR headset does work with Steam.
We have explained in detail how you can connect your Quest 2 VR headset with Steam and enjoy hundreds of games. Let’s start digging.
Oculus Quest 2
Before we start with how it works on Steam, let’s have some knowledge about the Oculus Quest 2.
Rolled out on October 13th, 2020, the Oculus Quest 2 has gained incredible fame even before its first anniversary. Whether it is Quest 2 or any other VR headset by Facebook’s Oculus, the company has always manufactured top-notch virtual reality headsets that never disappointed the users.
It is a great escape for people who wish to escape from worldly worries for some time and enjoy the highly immersive and seamless world through VR. Some of the exceptional specifications the Oculus Quest 2 has included,
- Blazing fast Qualcomm Snapdragon XR2 processor
- Per eye resolution of 1832 x 1920p
- 6GB RAM
- Memory storage options include 64GB and 256GB
- Incredibly featherweight i.e., 1.1 pounds
- 2-3 hours of battery life
Now that you have gotten an overview of the Oculus Quest 2 VR headset, it’s time to finally see how this amazing gadget can work with Steam. Remember, there are two connectivity options for Quest 2 VR headset to work perfectly with Steam including, through a link cable and wirelessly.
Regardless of the option you choose, make sure that your PC has a powerful compatibility with VR games so that you don’t go through any hidden or unpleasant surprises while connecting the headset to your PC.
1. Via Link Cable
To run your Quest 2 VR headset with Steam, you would require an official Oculus link cable which is approximately 5 meters long. Link cable provides the most stable performance that you might not be able to experience with the wireless option.
Though the link cable only costs around $80 however, a lot of franchises have alternate options that can connect your VR with your PC but we can’t say anything about its durability and performance as compared to the original Oculus link cable.
To run your VR with Steam, make sure that you have Steam, Steam VR, and Oculus app installed on your computer. Once you have prepared your PC for the VR headset, below is what will happen and what you should do.
- After connecting your VR with the PC, the Oculus app would detect the VR headset as Quest 2.
- A quick performance test would be run to check whether or not the connection is stable.
- After the performance test, a pop-up might appear asking the access to your data to which you must select “Deny”. If you allow it to access your data, you will face disconnection issues later.
- Now another pop-up will appear asking for access to Rift apps too which you should select “Enable”.
- If the pop-up regarding Rift apps doesn’t show up, you must manually go to the settings and enable it.
- You can find it in the Settings> Oculus Link> Connections.
- You will now see a different Oculus homepage from where you will have to select “Steam VR” so that the homepage turns into Steam VR homepage.
- Now that you are at the Steam VR homepage, you are free to choose any game and enjoy the seamless games through your VR.
- To view the list of games, click on the “Menu” button located on the left side of your controller.
One thing that we would like to tell you is that if you plan to go with the wireless option, ensure that your connection is the strongest that you have ever had. The safest way to use a wireless connection is to connect your router to the PC via an Ethernet cable and change the connection of your headset to a Wi-Fi network (5 GHz).
Moreover, you can’t run your Quest 2 VR headset with Steam unless you have purchased the “Virtual Desktop” which costs around $20. Note that you must buy it from the Oculus Store instead of Steam.
Another noteworthy fact is that even if the software is working exceptionally, its performance can go down any minute, this is what a lot of users have complained about too. But, it depends on the setup that you have.
- After you have installed the Virtual Desktop app, sign into the Oculus app.
- Download and install the Virtual Desktop streamer app, enter your username and save the details.
- Once your Virtual Desktop app is launched, it would show a list of connections available, choose your computer.
- Press the menu button from the left of the controller and choose “Start Steam VR”.
- You will now have the Steam VR home opened.
- You now have all the access to the VR games available to be launched and enjoyed on your Oculus Quest 2.
The Oculus Quest 2 is one of the best choices one can make for virtual reality headsets since it not only offers a fantastic immersive experience but also gets a massive variety of amazing games from the Oculus store to be played for free.
All you require is a high-tier PC that is compatible with virtual reality games and works smoothly so that you have the most exceptional experience ever.
Now that you have reached the verdict, you must be happy that it is difficult to run your Quest 2 VR headset with Steam. So, choose your option carefully and enjoy!